Our people are at the heart of our continued success and being part of KPMG is being part of a community of talented and innovative people, working together to have a positive, lasting impact on clients. No one type of person succeeds at KPMG; a diverse business requires diverse personalities, characters and perspectives.
In October 2014, we launched our Inclusive Leadership strategy and our firm-wide diversity targets. These spell out how we want our firm to look in terms of gender, ethnicity, disability and sexual orientation by 2018. These clear objectives will help to shape our recruitment and development activities and make sure we are removing any barriers to us having the right talent in the right roles.
The WorkAbility Network
WorkAbility is KPMG's employee network for people with a disability or colleagues who have a personal interest in this area, for example, those who care for a disabled family member. The network offers support and guidance for employees and signposts to external sources of information and support.
Be Mindful Network
Be Mindful has been set up by colleagues to support a mentally healthy KPMG. As a sub-group within WorkAbility, Be Mindful aims to provide a safe space for colleagues to share their experiences and gain support around mental health. Promoting positive mental wellbeing is critical to helping ourselves and our colleagues enjoy productive, satisfying and successful careers at KPMG. Members of Be Mindful help by providing information, signposting and someone to listen to. In Be Mindful, we recognise that one of the best ways we can make it easier for colleagues to come forward and seek support is knowing that other people have done it too.
Did you know?
We know diversity and inclusion is good for our business and the communities in which we operate. In fact, we were the first major UK company to publish disability recruitment targets and our Inclusive Leadership strategy is the most detailed of our industry group.
We recognise that our inclusive environment provides a better service to clients and makes for a great place to work. That's why we value difference and seek out potential. There really is a place for you here.
We want to attract, retain and grow diverse talent at all levels. To achieve this and help build more diverse teams that truly represent the society in which we work, we’ve set ambitious targets on gender, sexual orientation, disability and ethnicity. Ultimately, to create an environment where our people can bring their whole selves to work.Our Inclusion & Diversity team also works to embed inclusion into our behaviours, people processes and culture. Our vision is to build KPMG as somewhere all our people can feel confident being themselves:
Our clients see a difference in us because we are committed to offering solutions that maximise thought diversity, and we gladly collaborate with them to enable them to access the same levels of diversity by sharing our knowledge on best practice in Inclusion & Diversity.
The public trusts us because we are recognised thought leaders in Inclusion & Diversity. We support the government and all the communities we are a part of in Inclusion & Diversity best practice and innovation.
Find out more about our inclusive culture here.
First Year Programmes
Our First Year Programmes have been designed to help you find out more about KPMG and the different types of projects and client work you could be involved in if you embarked on a career with us.
This is the perfect opportunity to develop new skills and enjoy new experiences – experiences that will stay with you for a lifetime. You’ll get an insider’s view into one of the world’s leading business advisory firms, the work we do, the industries we work in and the big issues facing our clients.
KPMG is a place where the curious come together. A place where you’ll enjoy diverse challenges and bounce ideas with bright minds to help to deliver innovative approaches.
Wherever you join us – in Audit, Tax & Pensions, Deal Advisory, Consulting, Technology and Business Services – you’ll find yourself in a stimulating environment. One where disruptive technologies are embraced. One where collaboration is a way of life. One where your contribution can make a real difference to our colleagues, clients and communities.
Hints and tips for applying: https://www.kpmgcareers.co.uk/graduates/how-to-apply/application-process?utm_source=myplusconsulting&utm_campaign=students18_gr_myplusconsulting_profile_hints_and_tips
Our Apprenticeship Programmes offer a practical way to kick-start an exciting career with KPMG. You’ll earn a salary, gain valuable work experience and skills and be supported to achieve a professional qualification.
This is an opportunity not only to build your skills and confidence, but build an exceptional future with one of the world’s leading professional services firms.
Hints and tips for applying: https://www.kpmgcareers.co.uk/apprenticeships/how-to-apply?utm_source=myplusconsulting&utm_campaign=students18_app_myplusconsulting_profile_hints_and_tips
Tips for applying
As you’d expect, our standards are very high, and there is naturally a lot of competition. So, not everyone is offered a job. But we have designed our application process to give you the best chance of being your best. And we’ve put together some tips to help you make the most of the opportunity. More tips on our website: https://www.kpmgcareers.co.uk/graduates/how-to-apply/application-advice
- Research different career paths You can find out more by researching the different career paths available. Make use of employee profiles, other sections on our website and other company websites. You could even research online careers services and Professional Institute websites (for example, ICAEW, ICAS, CFA) to find out more. Your University Careers Service will also be an invaluable source of information on a career in Audit, Tax or Advisory. If you need more information you can visit our Contact page.
- Live Chats Speak to a member of our Student Recruitment team. These online sessions run throughout the year and give an opportunity for prospective applicants to ask questions in real time to a team of representatives from the student recruitment team and other staff within the firm.
- Demonstrate your diverse strengths There’s no single type of person who succeeds at KPMG. Our business thrives on diversity. What we look for is people with something special to offer. So we’re just as interested in other aspects of your experience and other parts of your character. Overall, we’re looking for people with a strong awareness of business, a curiosity to find out more and the ability to think of new ways to solve problems. We’re also interested in people who take pride in their work, have integrity, strive to improve themselves and can build strong relationships that bring out the best in others. When preparing for your interview, you should think about these areas carefully and consider how you’ve demonstrated these behaviours in your life. This could have been through academic work, hobbies, part-time jobs or extra-curricular activities.
During the recruitment process you might hear the phrase ‘Behavioural Capabilities’ a lot. These are the skills and behaviours that unite every person here at KPMG. We don’t just want to know how you act in certain situations – we want to see that you believe in the values that underpin our business.
We look at the six key areas below. You should consider how you’ve demonstrated these behaviours in your life, using specific recent examples. These can be from hobbies and academia, to part-time jobs and extra-curricular activities. Remember what you did, the role you played and the challenges you faced.
- Career Motivation Deciding where to begin your career can be challenging. You might apply to a number of different organisations, but we want to see that you’ve thought about why you want to work for us in particular, and have thought carefully about your chosen field.
- Delivers Quality To achieve exceptional results, you’ll need to be able to plan, prioritise and prepare in advance.
- Drives Collaboration and Inclusion Building deep relationships is a big part of success at KPMG. Ours is a diverse and inclusive culture so whichever area of our business you join, you’ll work as part of a team on a regular basis. We’re looking for people who thrive working in a team and enjoy discussing ideas. Client contact is also a huge part of what we do, so being able to make lasting connections is crucial.
- Strives for Continual Improvement The opportunities available at KPMG are vast. If you want to develop both professionally and personally, we can offer you the tools to go far but you’ll drive a big part of that journey yourself. We expect you to have the motivation to achieve your potential.
- Exercises Professional Judgement At KPMG, we’ll provide you with the autonomy to make decisions so we need to be sure you have the ability to analyse information and justify your approach with clarity and confidence.
- Makes an Impact To make a positive lasting impression with colleagues and clients, you must be able to communicate passionately and professionally. It’s important that people are confident in what you have to say, and that you’re able to convey your point in an influential way.
At KPMG we’re committed to encouraging diversity in the recruitment, retention and development of our people. Any data you provide will be held in strict confidence and will enable us to make any reasonable adjustments necessary and allow us to track how successful we are in recruiting talented people, irrespective of difference.
Do get in touch with a recruiter if you have any special requirements which should be taken into account or that need accommodating during the recruitment process.
We have a range of services to support you once you've joined our organisation.
BeWell is our Employee Assistance Programme. We also carry out Health & Wellbeing assessments and work with Occupational Health.
The Facilities department is responsible for physical access to and within KPMG offices, and for internal equipment such as loop systems and desk adaptations.
IT Services can procure special equipment, including suitable computers, screens and telephones for disabled staff. IT Services can also assist with identifying and installing any specific software required.
Jessica , Manager, Technology Solutions at KPMG "I want to encourage as many people as possible to speak about their mental health, even if it’s just with one person, and get yourself some help, because you deserve it." Read more
Ben Iles, Assistant Tax Manager Ben: "Throughout my time at KPMG I have had full-time Support Workers to assist me in the office with administrative tasks and some personal care that I require during the day." Read more
Mark Russell, Executive - Capital Advisory Group Mark: "I have always been given lots of support from my colleagues and they understand my disability and I feel comfortable and able to ask them for assistance if I need it whether it be with administrative tasks or simply getting lunch." Read more