Developing and producing energy resources that benefit people the world over is our motivation it's what drives us. So we're constantly pushing the boundaries of what's achievable. Demanding more of the resources we use in an effort to create a more sustainable future. And it's our talented people who make this all possible. The experiences, skills and perspectives that make up our team all have their role to play. And when they come together, our future has no limits. And neither does yours.
We're a global company and we operate in an increasingly inter-connected world. Diversity is about making sure the differences we see in the world around us are reflected in our workplace. It's about building diversity of thought into the organisation, by consciously attracting the best talent to BP, no matter where that talent comes from. But diversity isn't enough. For diverse talent to thrive, we need inclusion. Inclusion is having a culture where everyone is valued and plays their part in building our success. It's about staying curious and open, learning from our mistakes and from each other. If we have an inclusive culture, we'll naturally attract the most diverse talent, because the widest possible range of people will want to come and work for us. Our business resource groups (BRGs) are employee-initiated and employee-driven groups. They're open to everyone who wants to get involved. BRGs share a common goal of making BP more inclusive through delivering our D&I ambition, helping BP meet its global objectives. We have BRGs representing ethnic minorities, women, LGBT, disabled people, new parents, armed forces veterans, part-time workers, new joiners to BP and experienced employees. The BP Accessibility Network was launched in 2017 in the UK with other chapters in Hungary and the Americas. The goal of the Accessibility Network is to enable employees at BP to reach their full potential through inclusion, representation and access to accommodations. The group is a strategic ally to increase awareness and share best practices to improve understanding.
Did you know?
Building a diverse BP where every employee is valued is one of the ways we'll succeed together. It really is that simple. Bob Dudley, CEO
Diversity is real at BP. We want our teams to reflect the markets we serve across the globe and every day, we see the benefits of encouraging new perspectives. So as a company, we've set ambitious diversity goals. And as people, we're doing everything we can to make sure we reach them.
Year of study: Penultimate year
We offer a range of summer (11 weeks) and year-long paid internships. Getting hands-on experience in our science, engineering, business and trading divisions is the best way to complement your degree or PhD. Whether you join us for 11 weeks, or a full year, you'll benefit from a real job with real responsibility. And to get the most from your time with us, we'll provide lots of opportunity for extracurricular activity along the way. You'll have the chance to get involved with central projects, like working on social media updates or helping to produce the intern newsletter. You'll also gain training outside of your role that will provide you with useful soft skills like networking and presenting. And you'll have the opportunity to take part in social events, competitions, a community or charity day and, once you're settled in, you'll host a shadow student for the day. Completing an internship with BP can be a fantastic and invaluable opportunity that may even lead to a graduate job offer down the line.
Joining one of our programmes, you'll enjoy real responsibility from day one and the freedom to choose your own path. Enhancing your knowledge, stretching your skills and gaining real-world experience alongside some of the brightest minds in the industry.
For more information on what types of graduate programnes we have available please visit our website www.bp.com/grads/uk
- Speaker to recruiters
- Meet graduates
- Learn more
Insight Programmes: Discovery Days
Year of Study: Open to all years (a great options for students in their 1st and 2nd years)
Depending on which area you're interested in, you could visit one of our HIVEs (Highly Immersive Visualisation Environments), an analytical lab, a test facility or one of our trading floors. As well as hearing from graduates and interns about their roles, you'll participate in workshops led by resourcing and HR experts to help you improve your skills.
BP Shadow Day
Year of Study: 1st and 2nd year
We'll match your interests with one of the current interns or graduates and give you the chance to shadow them for a day over the summer. With the opportunity to pick their brains and chat with BP employees, it's a great way to see what life at BP is really like.
Widening Participation Programme (WPP
Year of Study: open to all years
Our award-winning WPP promotes and supports the recruitment and development of students from ethnically diverse backgrounds. Over the course of a week, you'll participate in professional skills workshops, spend two days shadowing employees and visit a BP operating site.
Tips for applying
BP recruiters share advice for applicants.
- Get to know us At BP our core Values not only underpin our business but how we behave as individuals. Understanding these Values ahead of your application and taking the time to think about the different experiences you have had and how your experiences can demonstrate practical examples of behaving in line with these values is great preparation. Understanding our values is also a great way to establish if we are the right company for you.
- Choosing the right examples The chances are that if you have been particularly challenged or have been really proud of something you have done, you will most likely find that to achieve it you may have had to work well in a team environment, overcome challenges, adapt your style or approach or perhaps you had to influence someone? These examples can be transferable across many possible questions and can be good examples to use as we are going to gain a real insight into who you are and what you have achieved.
- Don't be afraid We strongly encourage you to be open with us around any concerns you may have around completing any element of our process. We welcome conversations with applicants around what to expect at each stage of our process so that you can advise us on any potential barriers.
It's important to show BP's graduate recruiters that you share BP's five core values: safety, respect, excellence, one team and courage. You can do this in your online application and in BP's competency-based telephone interview.
- One team Whatever the strength of the individual, we will accomplish more together. We put the team ahead of our personal success and commit to building its capability. We trust each other to deliver on our respective obligations.
- Respect We respect the world in which we operate. It begins with compliance with laws and regulations. We hold ourselves to the highest ethical standards and behave in ways that earn the trust of others. We depend on the relationships we have and respect each other and those we work with. We value diversity of people and thought. We care about the consequences of our decisions, large and small, on those around us.
- Courage What we do is rarely easy. Achieving the best outcomes often requires the courage to face difficulty, to speak up and stand by what we believe.
- Excellence We are in a hazardous business and are committed to excellence through the systematic and disciplined management of our operations. We follow and uphold the rules and standards we set for our company. We commit to quality outcomes, have a thirst to learn and to improve. If something is not right, we correct it.
- Safety Safety is good business. Everything we do relies upon the safety of our workforce and the communities around us. We care about the safe management of the environment. We are committed to safely delivering energy to the world.
During our application and assessment process we are able to make adjustments for applicants. We encourage applicants to contact us prior to submitting their application if necessary, or letting us know of the adjustments they may need when making an application. There is a dedicated member of the Graduate Recruitment Team who is available to discuss the adjustments we can make and the support we are able to provide.
Katie Garland, Subsea Engineer I love that my job changes on a daily basis. During an offshore campaign, I’ll wake up in the morning and check my phone for the vessel reports. You can usually tell at that point how busy you will be, and what’s going to come up. Read more
Mark Brunton, Senior business architect "There’s a distinction between having a disability and being disabled. Thankfully I very seldom felt disabled, certainly at BP." Read more
Chemical and Process Engineering Graduate Programme Read more
Commercial IST Graduate Programme Read more
Global Environmental Products Graduate Programme Read more
HR Graduate Programme Read more
Procurement and Supply Chain Management Graduate Programme Read more
Subsurface Information Management Graduate Programme Read more
Supply & Trading Discovery Week Read more